NSW CTP Green Slip Insurance - CTP FAQ

CTP Explained

What factors determine my CTP price?

A number of factors are used to determine the price of your CTP Green Slip. They include, location of where the motorcycle is normally garaged (zones are set by the Motor Accidents Authority of NSW (MAA), motorcycle classification (which is determined by its shape and usage), your entitlement to an Input Tax Credit (ITC) and the period of cover required e.g. 12 months, 6 months etc.

Insurers may also apply other factors such as the age of the motorcycle, age of rider(s) or owner(s), and any motorcycle insurance history. If any of these factors change, then the premium may change as a result.

CTP Green Slips and GST

Why do I need to declare if I am entitled to an Input Tax Credit (ITC)?

This is because the CTP premium we offer varies according to the motorcycle owner/operator's entitlement to claim an Input Tax Credit. Two premiums apply to each class of motorcycle. One for people who are not registered for GST (or who are unable to claim the GST component as an input tax credit) and one for GST registered tax entities who are entitled to claim an Input Tax Credit.

Why do I have a higher premium if I am entitled to an Input Tax Credit (ITC)?

As a result of GST legislation, the cost of settling a claim is higher where the owner is entitled to claim an ITC. The NSW Government has determined that there will be no cross subsidy between owners who do not have an entitlement, and those that do. As a result, the ITC entitlement premium is higher than the "no ITC" entitlement premium.

New CTP Insurance Policies and GST

To ensure that we offer the correct premium, new customers will be asked a tax status question when purchasing a CTP Insurance policy.

Green Slip Renewals and GST

Your Green Slip renewal premium is based on the information you gave to us in the previous insurance period. As these details can change, it is important that you take the time to read the information we send to you with your Green Slip, before you pay your renewal. If any of the information is incorrect, please contact us.

If you are uncertain of your GST status or entitlement to claim an ITC, please discuss with your accountant, financial adviser or tax agent.

CTP Green Slip Information

How long has InsureMyRide been offering CTP insurance?

InsureMyRide Green Slips are issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO. It is important to remember if you are at fault in an accident; the person injured will make a claim against your CTP insurance. They may be friends or family. GIO is the most experienced CTP brand in NSW, with over 70 years experience handling CTP claims. We understand how traumatic an accident involving personal injuries can be, so we make the claims process as simple and efficient as possible.

What does CTP stand for?

CTP is short for Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury Insurance and is commonly known as a CTP Green Slip in NSW.

Who needs CTP Green Slip insurance?

CTP Green Slip Insurance is compulsory for all motor motorcycles registered in NSW. CTP insurance is not required for Trailers and Caravans.

What does CTP cover?

CTP insurance covers the motorcycle owner and any person who at any time drives the motorcycle, against claims for liability in respect of the death or injury to other people caused by the fault of the owner or rider. It covers the cost of all reasonable medical treatment for injuries received in the accident.

Depending on the injured person's individual circumstances, cover may also include:

  • loss of wages
  • the cost of care services and
  • compensation for pain and suffering

Anyone injured in a motor accident may be entitled to claim up to $5000 in cover using the Accident Notification Form (ANF) This applies to medical expenses and/or lost earnings incurred within 6 months of the accident.


Does CTP cover property damage (damage to another person's motorcycle/vehicle or property)?

CTP insurance DOES NOT cover damage to motorcycles/vehicles or property.

If you need comprehensive or third party property damage insurance you will need to arrange separate cover. For more information about InsureMyRide Motorcycle Insurance please visit http://www.insuremyride.com.au/insurance

Does CTP cover injured riders who are at fault?

CTP insurance provides cover up to $5,000 for an at fault rider injured in a motor accident. This cover is limited to treatment expenses and loss of earnings suffered within 6 months of the motor accident.

Cover is also available for injured 'at fault' riders under the Lifetime Care and Support (LTCS) Scheme. The LTCS Scheme does not provide a lump sum payout. For more information about LTCS refer to the questions below

Medical Care and Injury Services (MCIS) Levies

Why are Medical Care and Injury Services Levies charged?

Medical Care and Injury Services (MCIS) Levies fund ambulance, hospital lifetime care and other services for people injured in motor vehicle accidents.

For more information contact the MAA or visit their website at www.maa.nsw.gov.au.

Lifetime Care and Support (LTCS) scheme

What is the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme?

The Lifetime Care and Support (LTCS) scheme provides benefits to people catastrophically injured in a motorcycle/motor vehicle accident. The scheme is not fault based and assistance is available regardless of who caused the motorcycle/motor vehicle accident in which they were injured.

The Scheme provides lifelong treatment, rehabilitation and attendant care for people who have a spinal cord injury, a moderate to severe brain injury, multiple amputations, serious burns or blindness from a motorcycle/motor vehicle accident in NSW. It does not provide a lump sum payout.

For more information contact the Lifetime Care and Support Authority or visit their website at www.lifetimecare.nsw.gov.au.

What is the Motor Accidents Authority?

The Motor Accidents Authority (MAA) of NSW is a statutory corporation that regulates the CTP insurance scheme for motorcycles registered in NSW. You can find out more at www.maa.nsw.gov.au

CTP and Registration

What is the Roads and Traffic Authority?

The Roads and Traffic Authority (RMS) is the NSW State Government agency responsible for:

  • Improving road safety.
  • Testing and licensing riders and registering and inspecting motorcycles.
  • Managing the road network to achieve consistent travel times.
  • You can find out more at www.rms.nsw.gov.au

How does the RMS know that I have paid for my CTP Green Slip?

We will send the RMS an electronic transaction confirming that your CTP Green Slip has been paid. If your VIN. Rego, Expiry date is correct, your eGreenslip will be sent to the RMS within an hour after you make your payment online and you will be able to register your motorcycle shortly after.

This service is not available for motorcycles establishing a new registration, or motorcycles transferring registration from interstate. You will be sent a copy of your paid Green Slip in the mail for these occasions.

What is an E-Safety check?

An E-Safety check is the electronic transfer of the Pink Slip motorcycle inspection certificate to the RMS.

What is a Blue Slip?

A Blue Slip is a safety inspection report issued by the RMS to prove that a motorcycle has passed the required roadworthy, design and identity standards for registration. You will need a blue slip in the following circumstances:

  • Interstate transfers,
  • Motorcycles that have run out of registration,
  • Motorcycles that have been imported,

Electronic transmission of your Green Slip is not available for these instances. You will be sent a copy of your paid Green Slip in the mail for these occasions.

What is a Pink Slip?

A Pink Slip is a safety inspection report issued by an authorised inspection station (eg. garage) to prove that a motorcycle has passed the required roadworthy standards for registration. Motorcycles more than five (5) years old require a safety inspection as a condition of registration renewal.

What is e-Registration?

e-Registration is a service provided by the RMS to enable you to register your motorcycle electronically over the internet or by telephone. This can only be performed when the Green Slip (eGreen Slip) and the Pink Slip (eSafety Check) have been electronically sent to the RMS.

What is Short Term Registration?

Short Term Registration (STR) allows the majority of motorcycles to be registered in NSW for periods of less than 12 months. Previously, NSW motorcycles were only able to register annually.

You will need a 6 month Green Slip if you wish to register your motorcycle for 6 months with the RMS.

How do I get a 6 month Green Slip?

Visit www.insuremyride.com.au to obtain a STR 6 month Green Slip.

What happens when I sell my motorcycle?

CTP insurance is linked to the motorcycle, not the owner, so if you sell your motorcycle, the CTP policy will be transferred to the new owner.

The RMS automatically notifies the CTP insurer of this change. Similarly, if you purchase a motorcycle, the CTP insurance will already be placed with a CTP insurer.

Where can I get more information?

Contact InsureMyRide by visiting visit www.insuremyride.com.au

If you want more information about Green Slips or motorcycle registration these websites may be useful to you:

RMS - www.rms.nsw.gov.au MAA - maa.nsw.gov.au

Recent Changes to CTP

What is changing for me?

Soon, new information will be required to be provided to purchase a Green Slip

Why is it changing?

These changes are being introduced by all NSW CTP insurers and are designed to improve your buying experience and reduce the time taken to register your vehicle.

How will I benefit from this change?

The changes are designed to benefit you in three ways:

  1. Less information will have to be provided to purchase a new Green Slip
  2. Your CTP details will be sent to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) immediately so that you can register your vehicle straight away. This will include first time registrations that currently require a hard copy CTP receipt to be presented
  3. Ensuring you are charged the correct premium. Your premium will be based on the registration details retrieved from RMS

Note: You should ensure your records are complete and accurate with RMS. Confirm the information on your registration papers and advise RMS straight away if there are any discrepancies. This will ensure that you are charged the correct premium.

What do I need?

You will be required to provide two pieces of information to assist us in identifying you and your vehicle. The details can easily be located on your RMS registration papers, so make sure you have them handy.

How can I prepare for this change?

Make sure the details showing on the registration papers are correct. If they are not correct you may be charged the incorrect CTP Premium. If any of your registration details require updating please contact RMS on 13 22 13 prior to purchasing the Green Slip. CTP Insurers won’t be able to update them for you.

What information do I need to provide to purchase a Green Slip to renew my registration?

If a Green Slip is being purchased to renew your vehicle’s registration, you will need:

  1. Your RMS Billing Number and
  2. Your Plate Number

What information do I need to provide to purchase a Green Slip to start a new registration?

If a Green Slip is being purchased to start a new registration, you will need:

  1. The vehicle’s VIN, Engine and/or Chassis Number and
  2. The NSW Driver or Rider Licence, NSW Photocard Number or RMS Customer Number of the registered operator

What if I don’t have my registration papers handy?

If you want to purchase a Green Slip to renew your vehicle’s registration, you will need:

  1. Your Plate Number and
  2. The NSW Driver or Rider Licence, NSW Photocard Number or RMS Customer Number of the registered operator Note that, if the vehicle is registered in the name of a company, the only identifier that can be provided is the RMS Customer Number.

What other vehicle information can I use to purchase a CTP?

You can provide your VIN Number, Engine Number or Chassis Number.

What if I don’t have the information required for my Green Slip?

You will still be able to obtain a Green Slip quote if you don’t have the required identifiers, but you will not be able to purchase a policy.

What if I have recently acquired a vehicle that is due for registration?

If the vehicle has only recently been acquired, please ensure that you have completed the change of ownership with RMS at https://www.myrta.com or a Green Slip may not be able to be purchased.

Will my CTP details be sent electronically to the RMS?

Yes, your CTP details will be sent electronically to RMS immediately for both new and existing registrations, removing the need to provide RMS with a hard copy Green Slip or receipt.

I have just moved to NSW. How do I purchase a Green Slip?

If you have just moved to NSW and your vehicle is still registered interstate, you will still be able to purchase a Green Slip to establish your registration by providing a vehicle identifier. If you have just moved from interstate or overseas and have bought a vehicle that is registered in NSW, you should ensure that the registration has been transferred into your name prior to purchasing a CTP policy. Failure to do so could mean you will be unable to purchase a policy.

Will there be any changes to my CTP cover?

No, there are no changes to your benefits under the Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury Insurance Scheme.

Will I still receive an offer to renew my Green Slip??

Yes, you will still receive a renewal invitation 4 to 6 weeks prior to expiry.

Is my privacy protected with this change?

Yes, we will only be using information from RMS that is necessary to provide you with an accurate Green Slip quote. This information has always been required to be provided when purchasing a CTP policy.

For more information on how we handle your privacy, please visit our website at:

Why does my quote not match that from the Green Slip Calculator or another website?

Quotes from other websites, including the Motor Accidents Authority’s Green Slip Calculator, are estimates based on information provided by you. The Green Slip quote from us uses information held by RMS. Quotes may not match if they are based on different information.

How can I register a complaint?

If you would like to provide us with any feedback or make a complaint, you can contact us at:

If you do not think the matter has been resolved, you can ask the Motor Accidents Authority for help - www.maa.nsw.gov.au or by calling 1300 137 131

InsureMyRide, specialist in Bike and Motorcycle Insurance, for road bikes, sports bikes, scooters, nakeds and classic bikes. Motorcycle Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 trading as InsureMyRide. Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance is issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807 trading as GIO Insurance. Registered Office, Level 28, 266 George Street, Brisbane QLD 4000. InsureMyRide is a brand of AAI Limited. Please read the Product Disclosure Statement before buying this insurance and consider whether it is right for you.




Please read the following Terms and Conditions

GIO General Limited ABN 22 002 861 583 (GIO) AFSL No. 229873, Level 18, 36 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane QLD 4000, is the issuer of Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury (CTP) Insurance policies and InsureMyRide Pty Limited ABN 75 121 676 293 (InsureMyRide) acts as agent and authorised representative of GIO for this product.

These Terms and Conditions apply to your use of the NSW CTP Insurance online quotes and insurance application aspects of the InsureMyRide website in relation InsureMyRide CTP Insurance issued by GIO. By clicking “Get an Instant CTP Quote” you accept these Terms and Conditions. Access to this site is for Australian customers only and the information and insurance products available through this site are intended for use only by an individual:

1. where the individual (being a natural person) resides in Australia; and

2. where the insurance product being applied for is NSW CTP insurance for a motor vehicle that is ordinarily garaged in NSW, Australia.

You warrant that you will only access this site if you, comply with the above and that if you access this site from outside Australia, you warrant that you do so on your own initiative, you are not contravening any laws in force in the jurisdiction applicable to where you access this site and you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws.

This site is to allow you to obtain information about InsureMyRide CTP Insurance issued by GIOand to assist in the purchase of this product online. You are not permitted to use high-volume automated or other systematic processes to access this site or to obtain quotes.

Insurance terms

You should refer to your CTP Green Slip Notice for details of your CTP cover.

Applicable laws

Use of this site and these Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of Queensland, Australia. Any claim to use of this site shall be heard by Queensland Courts.

Electronic Communications

InsureMyRide only consents to the use of electronic communications for the application and payment of insurance using the forms appearing on this website. If you would otherwise like to discuss any aspect of an insurance quote, application or policy, please contact us.


InsureMyRide may revise these Terms and Conditions at any time by updating this page. If you are not taking out insurance on the day you obtain your quote, you should review the then current Terms and Conditions, before applying for any policy of insurance.

Other terms applying to this site

The terms and conditions set out at Privacy/Terms and Conditions also form part of this agreement. If there is any inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and any other documentation included in this site, these Terms and Conditions prevail.